Monday, January 16, 2012

Each Step of the Journey...

Driving home from running some errands today, I couldn't help but think back on how life has played out over the last several months. To be honest, if I were in control, I think I may have done things differently. But now, being in the place that I'm in, I'm quite certain that God's plan really and truly is best despite the curves and detours along that way that I don't always understand.

I graduated from college back in May and eagerly anticipated searching for a job teaching. I knew that job openings were few and far-between, but I was ambitious. However, I realized that I would need some other work in the summer prior to beginning the perfect teaching job in the fall. I had it all lined-up to work at a business here in town...or so I thought. I called two weeks prior to the day that I planned on starting as I had been asked to do. I was told that they had recently hired two new employees and that they no longer had a position for me. My first reaction was to be frustrated...I hadn't looked for other work because I was told that I had a job that would begin as soon as we returned from our honeymoon. Through a series of events, instead of working for this local business, I wound up nannying for my wonderful neighbors.


I've had the blessing to watch these two little cuties for the last 7 and a half months and I couldn't possibly be more thankful! They brightened my days all throughout the summer and they continue to make my Friday's absolutely wonderful. It's also a ton of fun when their three older siblings are home!

During the summer, I interviewed for a few different teaching jobs. Unfortunately, none of them worked out. While I was a bit discouraged, God continued to give me a peace in the midst of the uncertainty. I began working at a dentist's office in town...simply doing whatever tasks needed to be done. I was easily discouraged because I felt that my work didn't have a very large impact. I wanted to do so much more.

For several months, I watched Luke and CJ and worked at the dentist's office. I was thankful for work, but desperately wanted to do something meaningful. As I waited patiently, God directed me in incredible ways. At the beginning of December, I took a position teaching ESL to 5 international students at Rochester Christian School. I work 3 mornings a week with these awesome students who are living here in America to study and learn. I began pursuing the idea of working on my master's degree this spring, and everything fell into place. And then...after I had followed God's leading in so many previous steps, I was offered the position in the afterschool program at the Children's School.


I am so incredibly thankful for the way that God guides and leads during each step of the journey. He knew the plan before I had even a hint. And while I may have done things differently, I am so glad that I'm not the one in control. Because He knows me better than I know myself...and He's placed me exactly where He wants me. And so this week, I continue teaching ESL at Rochester Christian. I'm starting my second week at the Children's School. Wednesday marks the beginning of grad school. And Fridays are still my wonderful end to the week spent with none other than two of my very most favorite one-year olds. God is faithful and I am blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment