Thursday, January 12, 2012

The World in a School

2012 has already been an exciting and wonderful year...and I am so thankful. Since sometime in December, I have been volunteering at the Children's School of Rochester (also known as school 15). I spend all day on Tuesdays in a 2nd grade classroom helping out wherever possible. It has been such a blessing to build relationships with each of the students in my classroom. They are precious children from a variety of different backgrounds. You see, the Children's School isn't your typical school. 50% of the students at the school are from countries all across the world. There are students from Burma, Nepal, Thailand, Laos, Sudan, Burundi, Tanzania, Somalia, Yemen, and several other countries. They each have unique stories that define who they are and I cannot wait to learn more about those stories.

On my 3rd or 4th day at the Children's School, I was sitting with the second grade teachers as they discussed an after school program that is run on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays at CSR. They were short on staff members and suggested that I apply. I was immediately excited about the opportunity and pleasantly surprised that if fit into my schedule that consisted of 2 other jobs and grad school classes as well. God truly amazes me with the way He orchestrates the details of our lives.

Last Tuesday, I applied for the job. I interviewed on Wednesday, completed training on Thursday, and began working with the students on Monday. I finished my first week of EnCompass this afternoon. I can honestly say that there is no other job that I would rather have right now. I leave CSR every afternoon with a giant smile on my face. Those children touch my life in such amazing ways. The other day I had a conversation with a student who was born in a refugee camp in Tanzania. I shared with him that I had lived there for a few months in college and that I knew a small amount of Swahili. The following day as I was walking down the hall, I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to be greeted with a warm, "Jambo!" It's crazy to realize that my experiences in Thailand, Tanzania, and Eastern Europe have all prepared me to work with students from all over the place!

I couldn't possibly be more content at any other school. As I drove home from work today, I contemplated how blessed I really am. I truly believe that I could travel throughout the entire world and not find a school that I love as much as CSR. The principal, teachers, staff, and students are amazing. The school set-up is ideal. And I've never felt more at home.

Jackson Hakizimana, left, listens as his classmate Chaz Robinson reads to him from the book The Gingerbread Man during reading time at School 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment